Tuesday, November 25, 2014

There Came a Mighty Wind....

Jeff Bezos


Blue Lily in Hawaii

     It's two days before Thanksgiving, but it does not feel like it here in Haiti.  The weather is still in the high 80s/low 90s most days.  There are no commercials (because, no tv on campus, of course!) with the latest in Black Friday sales.  No Christmas carols playing (except on my computer, but that doesn't count).  Of course, Thanksgiving is an American tradition, so that makes sense, but it still feels weird.  I think this is the first one I have spent out of the country.  

Life here is a little crazy right now.  When I first arrived, there were only a couple of other small teams on site, and everything was kind of laid back and quiet.  Then, on Thursday, the "off on Thanksgiving break" teams began arriving, and haven't quit.  There are approximately 150 team members here, and that makes it a little wild.  And did I mention kids?  A lot of family trips, apparently.  The first team that arrived I swear had 2-3x as many kids as adults.  And then another one was a teen group with a few chaperones.  Which is great, really.  They are learning about missions and serving people at a young age.  Definitely changes the group dynamic, though.

And while the overall temperatures are warm, the last couple of days, it hasn't felt that bad.  Because, there came a mighty wind.  And I do mean mighty.  Blowing over mattresses and scattering dust over everything.  But it cools things down.  :-)

The first week and a half, I went with the teams going out and doing mobile clinics in the surrounding areas.  With a few days playing with kids in the neighborhoods, and going on tours of the Mission of Hope campus and surrounding communities.  This week, we're out doing community health in a couple of orphanages and some interesting other areas.  And then, next Wednesday, I get to go home again.  For 3 weeks to start, and then, to Texas for Christmas, then home again.  This time for good.  I have no idea what's going to come next, but looking forward to finding out.

The interns are having a party out back, so think I'll go out and see what's going on.



No comments:

Post a Comment