Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Amazing Grace....

And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. - Phillipians 4:7

Pod of dolphins first morning out in Hawaii


Wow.  I started to say it has been an amazing few days, when really it has been only a day and a half or so.  But, it has been a blessed day and a half.  My flight out of Portland was relatively uneventful, and was able to make the flight to LAX without any problems.  Sat down in my window seat, and eventually my seatmates arrived.  With a 7 month old baby.  Which made me quite nervous, but thankfully, he was a happy little boy, and did not get fussy until the end.  He was quite tired at that point, but refused to go to sleep, and the dad and I discussed how we both felt that occasionally it was appropriate to dose a child with benadryl before a flight.  For everyone's sanity.  I laughed when I told him I was a nurse, and we both laughed when he replied that he was a respiratory therapist.

Then, I arrived on my last flight from LAX to Kona, Hawaii.  5 1/2 hours.  2 people sat next to me, a guy in the middle seat, and a girl in the aisle seat.  We quickly started talking, and it turns out she was on sabbatical as well.  She was from London, and had been traveling around the US, South America, and Australia, and just the day before, had decided to go to Hawaii and bought a ticket.  We began talking about where we were staying, and she had not realized how far it was to Hilo from Kona, and thought she would make it to the hostel that night, and that they would pick her up.  The couple in front of us chimed in that they probably offered airport shuttle from the Hilo airport, not the Kona, and she was not sure what to do.  I mentioned that I was renting a car and staying at a hostel in Kona that night, and she was welcome to join, which she decided to do.  I then settled in to watch the movie, "Chef" that was playing, and the girl and guy continued conversing.

Chef was quite cute, about a chef who quits his job at a restaurant, and starts running how own food truck, while struggling with interpersonal relationships.  What made me smile, was when they took the food truck to New Orleans, and as I watched the footage, I remembered all the streets/areas they went to.  After, it showed them on a bridge, and I thought to myself, "That's the interstate going to Texas from New Orleans", and just a few seconds they showed the guy tweeting about heading to TX next.

And, somehow, after the movie, the conversation between the 3 of us seatmates moved to TX.  The girl mentioned that she would like to visit, at which I tried my best to dissuade her, stating that the only positive thing about Texas was the food.  The guy argued with me, as he lived in Texas and loves it, and then began showing us his multiple Texas related tattoos.  Including the one that went all the way across his stomach, following the bottom ribline, that said "Texas Made".  I was dumbfounded.  Seriously?  People amaze me sometimes.

And that's all I have time for right now.  Hawaii is amazing.  Having someone to travel with is fun.  My cousin's wife is amazingly gracious and thoughtful.  And, many other stories (and animals) to come in future installments of the Hawaii adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment