Saturday, August 30, 2014

Travels....


“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.” 
― Terry PratchettA Hat Full of Sky

Sunflower at Red River Zoo, ND

A couple of last little notes before we leave Minnesota.  One of the days, we were trying to find a spice shop nearby, and came across the India Spice House.  I looked at the website, and realized it was a restaurant as well.  Looking at the menu, one of the first things that caught my eye was chicken lollipops.  I had been craving chicken lollipops ever since I left Abu Dhabi in April last year.  Chicken lollipops and chocolate camel's milk.  When I was in the UAE, my cousin lived in an apartment building, on the 35th floor, and the bottom of the floor was a shopping area.  So, a lot of mornings, I would head down there for breakfast, and get exactly that.  Chicken lollipops and chocolate camel's milk.  So, when I saw it on the menu, I was extremely excited.  Talked my friends into going there with me for dinner that night.  It was so good.  Of course, they did not serve beef (Hindi).  We ordered tomato dahl (which I can't eat, since I'm allergic to beans, but I've heard is amazing), garlic naan bread (amazing), goat biryani, chicken lollipops, vegetable samosas, and a chicken noodle dish.  The food was amazing.  Spicy, delicious, yumminess.  Good stuff.  I'm going to have to have Indian food more often.  

The other thing from Minnesota was that my car had to go into the shop, and of course, it was the catalytic converter.  $1400 later it was much better.  So, budget tightened, and we are moving on.

I left Minneapolis a little later in the morning than I had planned, but off I went.  Headed up to Fargo, ND, which was only a several hours drive away, but by that time, I was already ready to get off the road again.  Saw a sign for the Red River Zoo, and looked at my reciprocal zoo list, and found it was free, so off to the zoo I went.  It was a cute little zoo.  Not very large, but it was nice, because they were mainly focused on animals that could live in the cold ND climate, and are very focused on conservation.  Most of the animals were on protected status.  Except for the peacocks.  Loved the peacocks.  The first time I saw them, was in the fenced off area where the ducks were.  There was a mother and a baby, who I thought were stuck in there, but in a few minutes, they jumped the fence, and were off across the zoo.   It was the perfect size zoo, just to get off the road a little bit and walk around.  The other thing I liked about the zoo was that all the animals' names were written in about 10 different languages.

And, I had intended to catch up a little more than that, but it's time to head off to dancing at the National Singles Convention (Dance-A-Rama) here in Oregon, so, off we go...



No comments:

Post a Comment