Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Life in Alaska.....

Kids in Alaska don't know they're growing up on the Last Frontier. It's just what they see on the license plates, and it's something tourists like to say a lot because they've never been around so many mountains and moose before.
Tom Bodett

Mt McKinley, Alaska

I am a Cheechako in Alaska.  Someone not from there, who will not survive alone in the wilds.  I am learning.

My adventure began with getting out of Texas just in time to escape the real summer heat.  Part of what allowed me to stay for the length of time that I did, was that it hadn't gotten hot yet.  It was a relatively mild June for Texas, thankfully, since I spent most of it working outside on my mom's farm.  There is only a little bit more clean up to do of the large trees, and then the major parts of the cleanup will be finished.  Which means when I come back at the end of the year for the rest of my things and to pick up Miss Lucy, I can just do fine tuning, and then will feel good about leaving the farm back in my mom's hands for maintenance.  It can be hard for her to keep up with the 10 acres while working anywhere from 36 - 50+ hr weeks at the hospital.  Be that as it may, the 102 degrees it reached when I left for Alaska was a bit much.

The drive to Austin for the flight to Alaska was uneventful.  As per usual, I waited until the last moment, and threw things in a bag to leave.  Thankfully, I had at least organized what I was bringing, but literally packed it all in the 10 minutes prior to hitting the road.  Upon arrival at the airport in Austin, I did not see the sign for Alaska air desk on the way in, so had the van driver drop me off at American, since that's who I had purchased the tickets through.  The lady at the desk asked where my layover was.  "Seattle." "Oh, then you need to go to the Delta counter, I think.  We handle Alaska Airlines from AUS to *some other city*, but I believe Delta handles the flights through Seattle."......Silence......Crickets chirping.......I was dumbfounded.  Seriously?  Delta?  I thought I had managed to escape them.  I saw my dreams of a smooth flight without issues going right out the window.  Slowly and hesitantly, I made my way to the Delta counter.  Questioned the lady at the desk, who quickly pointed me in the right direction of the ACTUAL Alaska Airlines check in.  I was saved.  No Delta.  

And that was the beginning of my trip to Alaska, which I have now made it back from, and am busy packing up and getting ready to leave Thursday to head out on more great adventures.  So, will hopefully post some more about Alaska tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment