Friday, June 6, 2014

Just when you thought it was safe...

Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders, let me walk upon the water, wherever you would call me.  Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander, and my faith will be made stronger, in the presence of my Savior - from the song "Oceans" by Hillsong

Bear seen at the dump

The last 2 days have been interesting to say the least, and have culminated in a horrible migraine, caused by the smoking of the people in the cabin next to us, so we'll see how much I get through.  :-)  Just beware, this post is done under medication.  Wednesday night, everyone else went to bed about 10, but I stayed up until 11:30 (ish), thinking we didn't need to be up too early the next morning.  However, I did not take into account the amount of noise my uncle makes getting going in the mornings.  See, my aunt and uncle left shortly after 5am, and my uncle does not do anything quietly, which means my mom and I were also awake at this time, not leaving me with much sleep.  Wed. afternoon, we had went for a nice long drive up in the mountains, including a trip to Piedra Falls, which was beautiful, and included a view of a double rainbow at the bottom of the falls.  We then went driving through the mountains surrounding that area, and while it was absolutely beautiful, after a while I just spaced out.  I think the altitude got to me.

So, Thurs morning, we're up before the crack of dawn, and can't get back to sleep, so we start getting ready for our day, which was to start with a 4 hour horseback ride.  Now, while I ride, it's been about 8 months since I've ridden a horse, and I can't remember the last time I rode Western.

Did I mention I'm afraid of heights?

But, off my mom and I went, excited about a morning of riding.  I got paired with a Belgian/QH cross named (quite aptly) Chunky, and my mom was on a red roan named Loxy.  I knew this was not your average trail ride when they threw us up on the horses without helmets.  Didn't even offer them.  In fact, they didn't even have any if you wanted one.  No problem.  Off we went, down the road.  And then up into the mountains.  UP.  On the side of a mountain.  With narrow ledges.  And dirt that slid down as you walked on it.  60+ feet in the air.  I mentioned I'm afraid of heights, right?  The guy told me I could trust my horse.  I told him I did, it wasn't the horse that was the issue.  It was the dirt that was sliding out from beneath our feet.  With no helmet on.  And nothing below until you hit the river.

Well, thankfully, my mom enjoyed the view much more than I did.  I kept my eyes on the horses in front of me and held on for dear life, while my mom even got pictures.  4 hours later, we got off.  Tired, thirsty, suffering from heat exhaustion, altitude sickness, and chafing, but alive.  Next time we go with the 2 hour ride.  And if it's me, not on a trail going on the SIDE of the mountain.

We went back to the cabin and crashed before finally getting everything packed up and into the car, and headed to Colorado Springs, where we would be staying for the next 2 nights.

And I think that's where I stop for the evening.  I'm giving into the meds, and going to sleep, so we can start out early for whitewater rafting and a train ride tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment