Friday, May 2, 2014

In which we Fall Off Cliffs, Get Eaten by Snakes, and Get Blown Up by Pipelines........*almost*

That's been one of my mantras - focus and simplicity. Simple can be harder than complex: You have to work hard to get your thinking clean to make it simple. But it's worth it in the end because once you get there, you can move mountains.
Steve Jobs

Yosemite

After a hike with Miss Lucy this morning, my dad and I took the four wheelers out again this afternoon, and ran into a few more adventures than we had previously.  Yesterday, when we went out, he had motioned to one of the roads going up a hill and said he though it wasn't in good enough shape right now to go up.  Well, today, he said he had talked to someone who said it was okay, and up we went.  UP.  An almost straight up mountainside.  With rocks.  Large rocks.  Rocks that moved under the tires.  And did I mention the edge of the mountain right beside us?  Oh yeah, and then there's that.  :-)  But, we made it to the top safely.  And had an amazing view of the surrounding mountains as a reward.  On the way back down, which was almost scarier than going up, we were on a slightly lesser incline, when Ken stopped ahead of me, and started pulling out his gun, which he had brought in case of bears.  I had seen a black thing on a rock, and took a closer look, and it was a large black snake, sitting there, watching us.  After verifying that it was non-venomous, I talked Ken out of shooting it, and we proceeded VERY slowly down the hill to safety.

After backtracking to the regular trail, we continued on for several more miles among the mountains, before heading down another rocky mountainside.  On the way down, I began feeling nauseous, which is usually a precursor to a migraine, if I smell something weird (usually triggered by cigarette smoke).  I started paying attention to my surroundings, and realized I smelled gas.  Remember yesterday when I mentioned the trails followed the gas pipelines in the mountains?  Well, we reached a level part at the bottom, and I asked Ken if this was normal (to smell gas), and he said, "Yep, it's just bleed off".  By this time, I was very nauseous and slightly dizzy, and had a hard time believing it was just bleed off.  Sure enough, a few seconds later, we quieted the engines, and heard what sounded like a chainsaw nearby.  What it actually was, was a very large leak in one of the pipes, blowing the surrounding leaves and bushes around with its strength.  Well, we quickly turned around and headed up the mountain at a much faster pace.  Once finally out of danger, we headed back towards home.  So far, the migraine is staying at a low level, and hopefully it won't progress to a full blow one, so keeping my fingers crossed.

On tomorrow's plate of excitement?  A trip to Wal-Mart and a stop at the flea market.  I'm telling you.  The excitement just doesn't end......


No comments:

Post a Comment