Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Colorado here I come....

I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
Audrey Hepburn

I know, I know...it's been forever since I posted, but life, as usual, got in the way.  And, honestly, there just hasn't been that much going on.  I was in the middle of visiting my dad, when we got the call that my grandma had fallen and broken her leg, so I packed up, hopped in the truck the next morning, and headed back to Texas sooner than I had planned.  The drive was very uneventful, but Miss Lucy much preferred the roominess of the truck to riding in the sometimes cramped quarters of the Prius.  My grandma has been through 2 surgeries to work on a shattered femur, just above her knee.  The first, placed an external fixator on it to hold it in place until the swelling went down.  The second was yesterday, when they planned to repair the actual fracture, but were unable to due to an infection.  So, she's in the hospital, on antibiotics, and they plan to try again tomorrow to do the final repair.  So, I've gotten more time to spend with family and friends in Texas, along with, once again, hauling a lot of old logs, chopping apart trees, and mowing the 10 acres at my mom's house.  Which has earned me a heaping dose of poison ivy.  Now, normally, I don't get poison ivy.  Even with all my traipsing through the woods and mountains, and everywhere else in shorts and short sleeve shirts, wearing sandals, flip flops, or even going barefoot, I have only had poison ivy twice in my life.  The first time was back in 1997 (or 98).   I was working on an Arabian farm, when a fire broke out on the property behind the barn.  These people had a HUGE pile of trash, with all sorts of things in it, including old tires and all manner of junk, and somehow, it caught on fire.  So, several of us grabbed hoses and sprayed the trees that were near the border of the properties, to keep it from spreading to the farm, and the barn, and very expensive horses.  One of the guys and I climbed the fence to work it a little closer, and when I jumped on the other side, I rolled onto the ground.  The ground that was completely covered in poison ivy.  The next week or so was completely miserable battling poison ivy in the middle of a Texas summer.  Well, this time, apparently a lot of the vines and things surrounding the trees that I have been mowing around, chopping up, dragging up the hill in my arms, and having the vines get tangled around my feet as I mow, are poison ivy or oak or sumac or whatever.  So, lots of exposure.  But, I am surviving.

And, very early Friday morning, I leave for Colorado with my aunt and uncle, with a stop for a few days in Arizona.  Me and Arizona always have issues (remember what happened the last time?), so good thoughts/prayers that we will not have any issues before getting to Colorado.  My mom has vacation coming up the first week in June, and she wanted to go to Colorado.  We had talked to my aunt about using their cabin, and when mentioning that, she said they were going up the week before, so I invited myself along.  Which was perfect, because I was just reaching that point where I couldn't stand to be in Texas for much longer.  I hate Texas.  Colorado, on the other hand, is one of my favorite places to visit, so looking forward to spending some time there.

No comments:

Post a Comment