Tuesday, April 22, 2014

My Brief Foray on the AT....

 

 
May your trails be crooked,
Winding, lonesome, dangerous,
Leading to the most amazing video.
May your mountains rise
Into and above the clouds.
         -Edward Abbey
 

Mountain mist overshadowing the ocean

Well, as quickly as it began, it was over.  One and a half days and 12 miles into our hike on the Appalachian Trail, Lucy and I returned to civilization.  I was totally fine with slow going, but did not factor in the effect that would have on our ability to get water on a regular basis.  :P  But, that's okay.  I'm sore, tired, and about 10 pounds lighter, I think, and I know that I need to get in better shape so I can go back and try again at some point.  I had hoped to stay out at least a week, but if there's anything I've learned along this whole journey, it's that plans change.  So, Miss Lucy and I are hanging out back home for a few days (in VA), before we go spend some time with my dad in the mountains in KY (where we will definitely be doing some hikes), and then ride with him down to Texas where my car is, and hit the road again, out to visit friends and do little day excursions from various places until August, when my other plans go back into play.  I'm also hoping to make it to the VA State Square Dance Convention, and possibly some others.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment