Monday, April 7, 2014

Yosemite and the ocean....

Maybe there's a way out of the cage where you live
Maybe one of these days you can let the light in
Show me how big your brave is
- "Brave" - Sara Bareilles

Bridal Veil Falls Yosemite, CA

I promised further stories from the airport, so here goes.  The first one is one of my pet peeves.  People who show up at the airport with a purse, a suitcase, and then a smaller bag on top of the suitcase, so that it counts as *one*.   This is 3 bags, and takes up extra space on the plane.  So, it made me smile, when the Delta people laid down the law at the airport, and that people would have to consolidate their bags or check one.  And, one lady WENT OFF.  And she was appalled that she had to stuff her precious, pricey purse into her other bag.  "They're gonna mess up my purse!"  He, he, he......  As I was waiting to board that same flight, I glanced up at the TV screens, and there was a dressage rider!  CNN was doing a report on a blind dressage rider.  So, I got to watch horses in the airport, which made me happy in the midst of the chaos of flying Delta.  On the other hand, it REALLY made me miss my mare, and I am very much so looking forward to seeing her in less than 2 weeks.  Maybe even getting a ride in if the weather and timing cooperates.

The combination of Lucy and I continues.  She is such a good dog.  Sometimes, she reminds me of Zoey, especially when she's sitting beside me while driving, and I have been known to call her Zoey without thinking sometimes.  Which makes me a little sad....On the funny side, though, Miss Lucy is a total drama queen.  If we stopped and she couldn't get out, she would be waiting for me when I got back in the car, and then she would sit in her seat, look at me really hard, then when we started driving again, she would plop (and yes, I do mean plop) down and let out a big sigh, while looking at me out of the corner of her eye pathetically.  On the ocean, she LOVES the sand, but isn't sure about the surf coming at her.  Around the lake, though, she waded in, so will be interesting to see what she does when we get home.  The other interesting thing about home is the stairs.  Because, Miss Lucy is not sure about stairs where she can look through and see the ground.  She did go up and down them several times, but it will take some getting used to.  I don't think she had the opportunity to experience a lot of different things before I got her, but we are definitely making up for it now!

The last few days have been good.  Starting out after picking up my car in San Clemente, we headed up the ocean, and managed to get a warning for having a dog on the beach in an area where they weren't allowed.  Not that they put up signs or anything, apparently you are just supposed to know.  We then continued the drive up the ocean, stopping to look at kite boarders, surfers, waves crashing into rocks, etc.  And then, we found elephant seals, which were a lot of fun to watch.  Did you know they have retractable claws?  I didn't, until I was sorting through my pictures, and watching one scratch their back, and realized it was using claws.  Kind of like a cat's.  I had no idea.  Then, we were south of Big Sur, when we hit the mountains.  That was a little nerve wracking.  Driving along the edge of a cliff, looking out over the ocean, with nothing beyond, and occasionally crossing a bridge with nothing but ocean below you.  And did I mention very few guardrails?  Makes you feel a little small.

We stopped at a little Apple Festival, and got to taste several California wines.  I was surprised at the lack of white wines, but they said the grapes for the reds grow better here.

At the end of the day Saturday, I couldn't find a place to stay (either too pricey(even on campgrounds), no vacancy, or didn't take pets), so headed inland to find a rest or truck stop.  And, since I was headed that way, decided to continue on to Yosemite.  So, yesterday, we spent hiking the mountains and trails in Yosemite, looking at beautiful waterfalls and large granite cliffs.  Having been so many places and seen so many beautiful things, every time I go someplace new, I always go in with low expectations, thinking it can't be better than anything else I've seen, and then I am almost always amazed by the sights, sounds, and even smells of the new place, and my expectations are blown out of the water.  Yosemite was like that.  Even the drive up on 140 was amazing.  Then, on the way back, decided to take 120, and the views were completely different.  Up through the redwoods, into the mountains, and then.....SNOW!!!!! So Miss Lucy and I pulled over to the side and played in it.  I don't know that she had ever seen real snow before, so she wasn't sure about putting her feet into the cold, white stuff at first, and I had to convince her it was okay, but once she was in, it was play time.


No comments:

Post a Comment