Thursday, March 13, 2014

On the Road Again....

“What is that feeling when you're driving away from people and they recede on the plain till you see their specks dispersing? - it's the too-huge world vaulting us, and it's good-bye. But we lean forward to the next crazy venture beneath the skies.” 
― Jack KerouacOn the Road

Jaguar at the Abilene Zoo

Well, I did it.  Went from just barely sick to feeling pretty bad.  Giving it another day or two, and then going to the doctor.  Prayers, please, because I really don't want to spend money on a doctor.  So, yesterday morning, I headed out not as bright and early as I meant to, but that's ok. :-)  Had breakfast with my mom, and then headed NW.  Stopped in Abilene and went to the zoo there.  It is not a zoo to travel for, but I'm sure it's good for the people in the area.  For me, it was one of those sad zoos, with too small enclosures that were not set up for good viewing/picture taking, and not very many exhibits.  From there, I headed across the oil fields of west Texas, and into New Mexico.  I forgot how desolate west Texas is, and bathrooms are few and far between.  And there's not even good trees to go behind!  Eventually made it out of Texas, and to Carlsbad, where I had planned to spend the night, camping. The Carlsbad Caverns area is beautiful.  The mountains, the brush, the desert.  Well worth the visit.  And, I was doing okay with the little walking around, until some goober walked by smoking a cigarette.  Then, my sinus headache turned into a full blown, nasty migraine, and my upper respiratory thing became shortness of breath and wheezing.  Yes, that quickly.  Note to those who smoke, you are NOT only hurting yourself.  Please think of those around you when you light up.  So, decided it was not worth getting sicker by camping in 20 degree weather when already sick, and stopped for the night at a Super 8.  Heading out this morning, with no real plan, other than heading towards Arizona.

No comments:

Post a Comment