Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Heading out.....


The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is just tenacity.  - Amelia Earhart

Gator in the wild on the Tamiami Trail in FL


Funny story of the day:  A friend was talking on her office phone, and had her smartphone sitting in front of her on the desk.  The Siri app was not turned on.  She was just talking, when all of a sudden her smarphone (aka Siri) pipes up and says, "That's your problem, not mine!"  My friend couldn't figure out what had happened at first, but a few minutes later, the same thing happened again.  So, she calls the phone company and tells them what happened, and the guy just died laughing, and wasn't sure what to say.  He really wasn't sure what to say a few minutes later, when Siri said the same thing again, and he heard it.  My friend said he could not get control of himself, he was laughing so hard.  So, I was telling my mom this story, and as I thought about, I said, "Well, at least Siri has appropriate boundaries!"

Well, I went from the first few weeks of being in Texas mostly consisting of working around the house/yard, and doing work on the computer, to 2 weeks of almost non-stop flurry and going, getting things ready for the AT, visiting with friends and family, and just generally wrapping things up.  And in the midst of all the busy-ness, I neglected my sleep, and am now paying for it by getting sick.  Of course, the weather might have something to do with that, too.  The other day, it was 80 out.  The next day, we were running around town, and the temperature started dropping.  We were going in to see a movie, and it started spitting rain and the wind was picking up when we went in.  We came out, and it was sleeting/raining, freezing, and there was a layer of ice on the car, and one of the doors was frozen shut.  Got to love Texas weather.

On the day that it dropped to freezing suddenly, we stopped to see my grandmother on the way home.  We got out of the car, and for just a few short seconds, it was snowing instead of sleeting, and the first thing that popped into my head (and out my mouth), was "It feels like home!" and thankfully my mom was going inside, because I had to stop and turn around for a minute, because just like that, I was in tears at how much I wanted to be home in the snow.  And, of course, there's a song for that (in my life, I have songs instead of apps): Feels Like Home (from the movie My Sister's Keeper).

With all the uprooting of my travel timetable, I started to rethink the whole journey.  Not majorly, but just a quiet questioning of whether I was still on the right path.  And then, we went to church service, and the sermon was on "The Power of a Simple Yes", and I felt like every word he said was just for me.  In part of the sermon, he spoke about when he went to another country, and he didn't really know anyone, and didn't have anything specific that he was there to do, and he started questioning if he was supposed to be there, and he heard God tell him, "Take lots of pictures, journal, and pray for anyone you can."  And, that's kind of been my story on this journey, so it was a great reminder.  Then, my mom and I went and saw the Secret Life of Walter Mitty, which I had seen before, but she had not.  Again, it was a good reminder.  To not live life on "What if's", to just plunge in, go ahead and do that thing that you're afraid of, that you don't know how it's going to turn out, that you're not sure what the next step is.  You just take a little baby step, and wait for the next thing.  

So, tomorrow morning, bright and early, I'm meeting my mom for breakfast when she gets off work, and then I'm headed out to my  next destination, a slow drive over to the West Coast and then up Hwy 1, directly on the ocean.


No comments:

Post a Comment