Saturday, February 22, 2014

I don't think we're in Virginia anymore.....

"The Clinton administration launched an attack on people in Texas because those people were religious nuts with guns. Hell, religious nuts with guns founded this country! Who does Bill Clinton think stepped ashore on Plymouth Rock?" -P.J. O'Rourke.



Ok, ignore the fact that it's 70 degrees and I'm wandering around in shorts and tshirt instead of fifty layers of clothes in below freezing weather.  Ignore the flat land, the brown grass, short trees (with no leaves), and lack of water.  I knew I wasn't in VA anymore today, when a guy told me a story about how a friend of his saw a hawk on a pole as he was driving, pulled out a gun, and shot it, just for the heck of it.  Just FYI, that's actually illegal (on soooooo many levels).  Also, it's just odd how my thought patterns have changed, and how they don't fit in with the TX mindset.  Recycling, vegetarianism, buying local, etc, it's just not part of the lifestyle here, which seems foreign to me now. So, once again, I find myself missing VA.   I miss the farm, and the pair of falcons.  I miss my groundhog, and my horse, and my dog (even though she's not actually there anymore).  I miss my friends, my coworkers, my square dancers, and even (somewhat) my job.  One thing that has definitely been defined more than ever during this experience, is that VA is my home.

I talked to the people at Mission of Hope today about going there for a few months, and the timing has changed.  They are now looking for someone in the fall, instead of the summer.  This works better as far as the weather goes, since I hate the heat, but that was when I was planning on being on the Appalachian Trail.  Which means, the options are: go to Mission of Hope in the fall and skip the Appalachian Trail, go in the fall and do the AT earlier in the year (as in SOON), or don't go to Mission of Hope and stick to the original plan.  I still think I'm being called back to Haiti, but will be praying about this.

In other news, I've been invited to do a singing call tomorrow at one of the local dances, so I'm going to for the practice.  Which is part of what I've been doing in Texas.  Some square dancing, creating a website for my club in VA (Fluvanna Flutterwheels), and doing a lot of mowing/huge log moving on my mom's land.  Oh, and playing games on the computer and watching TV.  :-)  Basically, taking a break and doing not a lot of anything.

BTW, I read something the other day about the age of the founding fathers that interested me.  Did you know several of them were in their 20s (and some even younger) at the time that they were changing the course of history and/or signing the Declaration of Independence?  Read about it here.


No comments:

Post a Comment