Monday, January 27, 2014

Highs and Lows

“In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.”  - Robert Frost







Today had its really good moments, and then one really bad one, but hopefully it will work itself out.  Started out the day at the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta.  A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.  This was started by Bernie Marcus, the co-founder of Home Depot, as a thank you to the city that helped him start his empire.  It is still privately funded, receiving no money from the government.  Bernie's only requirement was that there be whale sharks, and so there are (pictured above).  These are beautiful, HUGE fish, and they have 4 of them, plus several of the large manta rays that grow up to 13 ft wingspan.  Got some video of both, along with a million pictures.  One of these days I'll get around to sorting through them all.  :-)  There were 2 separate otter exhibits, both of which featured several lively creatures.  The dolphin show was unreal.  It was like watching the orca show at Sea World, except better.  I've been to several aquariums recently, and up until now my favorite has probably been Seattle's.  And, with the high price of admission, I started to not go to this one, but SO glad I did.  Well worth the ticket price.  As I described it to a friend, it's the Baltimore Aquarium on steroids.  There were lots of other exhibits, all well done, all well cared for, and with very knowledgeable volunteers.  One day, I will go back (after getting scuba certified) and do the swim with the whale sharks and manta rays.  I can't even imagine.

Then, I was on my way to Providence Canyon State Park, when I got the call that my dog (who I mentioned in my last post), had a not good vet's report.  She had previously tested positive (quite a while back) for ehrlichia, but my vet and I together decided that since she wasn't having any symptoms, there was no need to treat.  She had been off her feed before I left, but she always does that when she gets stressed (like when I'm packing to leave/leaving), so didn't think much of it.  Apparently, she got worse after I left, and her bloodwork was way off.  We're treating her with antibiotics, but is having kidney trouble, and not sure if it's reversible.  Prayers/good thoughts/whatever you got appreciated.  I feel a little better about the prognosis after talking to the people caring for her, but still concerned.  She couldn't be in better hands, though.  I know she is well loved and cared for where she is until I come back.

And then, I arrived at the Providence Canyon.  At that point, wasn't sure I felt like going for a hike, but after a good talk with a friend, went anyways.  It reminded me a lot of Palo Duro Canyon in Texas.  Much smaller and not as "grand" as the Grand Canyon, but similar idea.  Beautiful colors in the walls of the canyon.  I can only imagine what it would look like in the fall, with all the trees changing color.  The canyon was formed by erosion due to poor farming practices, which I thought was interesting.  It was a great hike down into the canyon, with a little time exploring before the park closed.    A very nice way to end the day.  And, tomorrow, the cold weather hits, so definitely time to head south to FL.

No comments:

Post a Comment