Saturday, April 7, 2012

Changes again.....

I know, I know. Long time no post, and I'm in New York and haven't even finished writing about New Orleans. How did I end up in New York? Well, that's a bit of a story. Perhaps I should start at the beginning.

Before I left for New Orleans, I interviewed for a new job. While I was in New Orleans, I received a call for a second interview, and had that shortly after. This wasn't really planned. I had considered switching nursing jobs for a while, but wasn't really looking. One day, I was browsing craigslist and happened to look in the medical jobs section, and there was the perfect sounding job. During the interview process, everything went smoothly, there were no yellow or red flags, I got along well with everyone I met, and the more I learned about the job, the more I realized it was perfect for what I was looking to do next. So, I start in 2 days. And I quit the farm. It's all been good, though. Had to make some tough decisions, but everything's working out in the end.

In the meantime, I was getting ready to ride one day, and I got to talking to my landlord about general stuff, and she mentioned a trip to NYC, and when she told me some of the stuff they would be doing, I asked if she wanted another trip member (halfway kidding). When one of their travel people backed out, I got to take the spot. So, we've been having a blast in NYC the last few days. Took the Amtrak train up from Charlottesville, wandered all around Manhattan. Went to the top of the Empire State Building, took a rikshaw around Central Park, went to the Museum of Natural History, stayed at the Hotel Elysee, ate at the Monkey Bar and Dos Caminos, as well as having some great street food. Visited St. Patrick's Cathedral (AMAZING!). Oh, and did I mention seeing The Lion King on Broadway??????? Sitting right up front. Best. Thing. Ever. The show was amazing, the cast was wonderful, the costumes made you forget there were people behind them, and Rafiki was OUTSTANDING. I LOVE that lady.
BTW, the Hotel Elysee is everything their website promised. A cute little boutique hotel, close enough to many things to walk, and an easy walk to the subway for everything else. They have a great continental breakfast, and wine and cheese every afternoon. The front desk people are VERY friendly and helpful. We also fell in love with the Europa Cafe and have stopped there multiple times for coffee and/or snacks.

Our time here is drawing to a close. Some of us are heading down to the Statue of Liberty ferry this morning before we head out to take the train back to Charlottesville. It has been an awesome trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment