Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Alaska, Part 1

I was looking through my pictures from Washington today, and found one of 2 black ducks on the water, and it reminded me of the loons in Alaska.  If you have never heard a loon, go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ENNzjy8QjU  It's an amazingly haunting noise. A day or so after my mom arrived in Alaska, we loaded up all of our stuff in the van, and hit the road to the canoe trails.  My uncle has one canoe, so we rented another for my mom and I and headed out.  The first day we got a little bit of a later start than I think we planned on, so we camped at one of the first islands we came to, and it was amazing.  Did a little fishing, set the tents up, then just enjoyed some time on the lake.  And then we saw the loons.  2 adults, and one little baby.  And the cries were amazing.  That was one of my favorite moments.  The rest of the time on the trails was fun, but tough going at some parts as we lugged the loaded canoes up and down hills, but it was GREAT exercise! :-)  After spending 2 days (and nights) out on the canoe trails, we  headed back into town for real food and showers, before heading over to Seward and a day out on a Kenai Fjords tour boat, which I will save for next time.










No comments:

Post a Comment