Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A Real Life Love Story.....

And now, we interrupt this broadcast (or at least this series on my trip through Canada), to tell a story that's worth telling......
My riding instructor asked me during the lesson today how/when I met Morganfee (my TB/Trak mare).  We first met in 1996 when Morgan was about 3 months old, at her home in LaCrosse, WI, Freisinger Warmbluts.  I had moved from TX to WI with a family to work as their nanny, and while there, bought my first horse, an appendix QH named Dusty.  I decided to board him at the Freisinger's, and soon began spending extra time there.  When I realized I did not enjoy working with kids full time, they needed some farm help, and offered me a working student position, living on the farm and learning about horses.  Prior to that, I had just hung out at a local 3 or 4 horse farm in TX on occasion, petting the horses, and sometimes getting to walk them around and brush them.  But I loved horses.  So, I started what would end up as a 6 year stretch of working with horses full time.  The Freisinger's taught me a lot.  How to handle horses in general, a little about breeding, how to work with stallions and not be afraid of them, how to worm horses, etc....and, of course, lots of feeding, watering, stall cleaning, moving hay, and unloading shavings.  And I fell in love with a baby named Morganfee.  We went to our first shows together, showing suitability for dressage in hand and sporthorse in hand, where she placed first in several classes, even up against older horses.  When the Freisinger's childrenn were moving back home and I left the farm, I did not have enough money to buy Morgan, and eventually lost track of her after I moved back to Texas.  Over the years, I have googled her named, expecting to at least see some show results, but never found anything other than what was on the Freisinger's website, that she had been sold.  Until this winter.  When I googled her name, and came up with a match!  And not just any match, but a "For Sale" match.  And so I drove, across the mountains, in the middle of winter, to find my mare (look back at my older posts to see THAT story!).  Just as beautiful and sweet as I remembered.  So, now we're together again, riding dressage, working with an excellent trainer, Catherine Sutton.  If I can ever get my weight under control, I hope to do some schooling shows this fall, then start with some real shows next year if all goes well.  She is such an amazing horse, and every time I'm out with her, I love her more.......

And that's my love story.....

No comments:

Post a Comment