Tuesday, May 18, 2010

May 1st - Not all who Wander are Lost

Driving across central Canada, and there’s not much to see. I have been finding some great radio stations that have been keeping me awake/going with stories and comedies and things. It goes a lot faster than just with songs. The prettiest part of this drive is the trees. There are great big huge evergreens, and at some point along the road, the birches (my favorite tree), grew up out of the evergreens, and peppered the dark green with the light green of their newly sprouted branches. Still no moose. Lots of signs, though! “Moose on the loose” (a great big 7’ sign), and “Moose crossing, next 3000km”. J But lots of Canadian geese, which are my favorite birds.

So, what does life on the road look like? Being the cheapskate that I am, I keep a bag of snacks on the front seat with my maps. I’ve usually got peanut butter crackers, cereal, granola bars, packets of oatmeal, etc in there. And a cooler on the passenger seat floorboard with sodas, sandwich meat, and mayo. Everything’s in easy reach. In the back seat, is a blanket for road side sleeping, a small pillow, and the trash. In the trunk is everything else: clothes, tent, sleeping bag, etc. On this trip, I had to pack both warm and cold weather clothing. And because I love to take pictures, I go through a ton of batteries. I have found that Rayovac (the green batteries) from Wal-mart are the best rechargeables. They hold their charge, even after you take them off from the charger, and last longer than the other types. Sleeping arrangements can be interesting. The plan was to camp the whole trip, but most of Canada’s parks and campgrounds are still closed for the winter (don’t open till mid to late May), so I sleep in my car in Wal-mart parking lots, rest areas, or (preferably) truck stops. There are 3 things I look for if I do decide to get a hotel: price, pool, and breakfast. J

No comments:

Post a Comment