Sunday, March 28, 2010

First day out.....

Written March 20, 2010, my first day on the trip to Haiti....

"Let the Wild Rumpus Begin!"

I think airports invent aircraft delays simply to sell more goods. People who were sitting contentedly in their seats waiting for their flights, suddenly decide they're famished and rush to buy massive amounts of food and drink when confronted with a one hour delay. My way of avoiding this: always take Subway on flights. Yes, you can bring food with you into an airport. So, usually the day before (to avoid any bigger rush the day of), I go to Subway and buy at least one footlong, and then refrigerate it. I knew I would be on a plane/in an airport all day today, so I actually bought 3 (had one for dinner yesterday).
As for the flights themselves, to start off with, I hate flying without a window seat. I like to see out, and often take pictures out the window. So, at home I had booked myself on a window seat for the Richmond to Chicago leg, but it wasn't showing any window seats available from Chicago to San Juan. And that's a long journey without a window. But I checked again when I got to the airport, and there was exactly one window seat available. It was perfect! Then, for the movie, they showed "Where the Wild Things Are", which I had been wanting to see. A very good movie.

Bad Travel Karma aka The Best Laid Plans

Finally arrived in San Juan after the hour delay leaving Richmond and another hour delay in Chicago, all due to the snow there. Yes, snow. Picked up my luggage and grabbed a taxi, because apparently no hotels in San Juan offer shuttle service. Get to the hotel, only to find out the reservation was canceled and that the 3 other ladies I was supposed to meet weren't going to make it in that night. The hotel, which was just a fairly cheap looking island place, wanted $80 for a room for the night. Nope. So I had them call me a cab back to the airport. As I'm waiting for it, 2 police and 2 MPs show up with machine guns. :-) So, one hour, 2 taxi rides, and 27 wasted dollars later, it was 11:30 pm, and I sat down to try to nap in the waiting area before getting on the 7 am flight to Port au Prince. I was definitely looking forward to a much easier connection on the way home, with just one layover in Miami.

A few hours later.....

All Things Work Together for Good aka All's Well That Ends Well....

Had a hard time sleeping, so was sitting there reading, when up walk Claudia, John, Henri, and Junior wearing Haiti shirts. We quickly started up a conversation and when Jr and John decided to go get something to eat, Henri and I joined them, with Claudia volunteering to watch the bags. It was great to talk to others who were going. They had all lived in Haiti @ some point, and were now going to help out with passing out supplies and doing clinics with Mount of Olives Church of God in New Jersey. Such sweet people, made my night a lot better!

No comments:

Post a Comment